Borrowing at the college libraryfree for Rotterdam University staff & students
What you need to now about borrowing at the college library
- In order to check out your books you need to have your college card with you.
- Borrowing is free!
- You can borrow upto 15 books or other materials.
- You can check out your own books at the selfservice desk in the library.
- The standard loan period is 3 weeks.
- When your loan period has expired, you have to either return or renew you materials within 1 week. Failing to do so will result in late fees of 1 euro / item / week (with a maximum of 5 euro / item).
- Except for books the library also lends calculators, memory sticks and headphones. Ask for them at the library desk.
How can you extend your loan?
- Open the catalogue and click on User Activities.
- Log in, when you're not on campus.
- Go to My loans, with possibility of renewal.
- Click on Renew everything, or check the materials that you want to renew, and click on Renew Selection.
Renewal is also possible at the self-service deks in the library. You only need to have your student or employee card with you for this.
- Books that you have borrowed can be renewed a maximum of ten times via internet or the self-service desk at the library.
- The possibility of renewing via internet is blocked if a fine is unpaid for longer than five weeks. You can still renew by phone.
- Renewing is not possible when a book has been reserved.
- Renewing is not possible between 2:00 and 5:00 at night.
How to Place a reservation
- Open the catalogue and search the title you want to reserve.
- Click the Reserve button on the left side of the screen.
- Select the location where you want to place the reservation and click on OK.
- Click Make Reservation to confirm.
You will see a confirmation, which is also sent to you by e-mail on your university account. You will receive a second e-mail when the book is ready for pick-up.
- A reserved book will be available for pick-up for five working days.
- Books that are on loan by other patrons, are reserved automatically when they are returned. A book on the shelf is available to anyone until a library employee has taken it off the shelf for you.
When you no longer need your books, or the loan period has expired, you can return them to the library. Please do remove any bookmarks or post-its: other patrons will thank you!
- You can return your books at any library location.
- At the Wijnhaven and Kralingse Zoom library you can return your books at the self service desk (where you can also check out your books). This is only possible during opening hours.
- Academieplein and Museumpark library have a separate drop off point. At Museumpark you can find it in the corridor to the right of the library entrance. At Academieplein it's located left of the main library entrance. Important: place your books on the conveyor belt one at a time.
- Late fees? You can pay your fines at the PinStation, using your bank card.
Borrowing at other librariesat a reduced rate
Erasmus University Rotterdam
With a free service pass you can access the digital collection at the university library, read books and make use of the wifi network. However borrowing books is not possible. For this you need a membership. A service pass can be obtained at the frontdesk of the university library.
Students and employees of Rotterdam University can become a member of the EUR library for the reduced fee of €15. With this one year membership you can borrow books. Take a look at what you need to do for a membership application.
As a student of Rotterdam University you get a 50% discount on a "Koninklijke Bibliotheek" membership. With this you get access for 1 year to the digital resources of the royal library. You can also make use of the archives and reading rooms at the KB in the Hague.
Requesting books and articles elsewhereby ILL
Found a book or article that's not available in our collection? In most cases you can still obtain it by putting in a request through us at another university library. This is done by Interlibrary loan (ILL).
How does it work?
- Collect the relevant data about the book or article (title, author, ISBN, pages, etc.).
- Send your request by e-mail to one of our locations. Mention you agree with paying the request fee (see below).
- We process your request. Articles are send to your e-mail address in most cases. Books can be picked up from the library desk after you have been notified by e-mail.
What does it cost?
- For students: €2,50 per book or article
- For employees: free